You’ve probably heard about the blogging internet meme making the rounds? It seems that everyone and their dog is participating, and why not? Talking about yourself can be fun, and I am really enjoying getting to know the people whose blogs I read a little better. Brian Harrison, principal in Keswick, Ontario, invited me to participate through his PLN (Professional Learning Network). He blogs regularly here at The Open Office. Maureen Devlin, an elementary teacher blogger in Massachusetts whose thinking is profoundly student centred also challenged me. You can read her blog here.
This meme reminds me of the Leibster Blog Awards, which I participated in last summer. In case you haven’t seen the task yet, here it is:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger. See above.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
Eleven Random Facts about Me
- There is no such thing as too much laughter.
- I spent a year in Paris, France as a “fille au pair”.
- It’s always about relationships.
- Archetype: intellectual.
- Intrinsic motivation is the best kind.
- Chocolate. Always chocolate.
- I want everyone to feel the joy of learning and growing.
- I sing first soprano. Pretty well.
- Staying calm in the storm is a strength.
- Running clears my head and makes me happy.
- I love cooking and made one of the best turkeys ever this holiday.
My Answers to the 11 Questions (I will answer some of Brian’s questions and some of Maureen’s. You don’t need to know that much about me!)
- Who is your favourite superhero? Can’t say I have one.
- What is the most interesting place you have visited? The Sachenhausen KZ Memorial in Germany.
- IOS or Android? iOS.
- Would you rather be a hammer or a nail-Why? Hammer. It’s about control.
- What was your first part time job? Babysitting. Eat chips, watch TV, talk to kids. Great job.
- Left on a desert island, what 3 books do you take with you? Lord of the Rings.
- In your professional work, what name, nickname, and/or title do you prefer? Sue
- What part of your professional work are you most excited about? Having reflective conversations about ideas.
- When did you decide to enter or choose the professional work you do? Last year of university. I fell into education and have never looked back. It’s truly satisfying work with myriad possibilities.
- What is your greatest professional challenge at this time? Moving from principal to superintendent in the same district is an interesting challenge. People’s perceptions continually surprise me.
- What draws you to a blog post? Something different. Something provocative.
- What is one piece of advice you would give to young professionals starting their careers. Find the joy and the laughter.
My 11 Questions
- How many years in education?
- Running, biking or swimming?
- Do you have a book recommendation for me?
- Messy desk or clean desk?
- Where do you get your blog ideas?
- Favourite recipe to make for someone you love?
- Funniest thing a student ever said to you?
- How can I make my blog better?
- Best place you’ve ever had a coffee?
- How often do you blog?
- When was the last time you attended a performance of Handel’s Messiah?
My Nominations (C’mon, you know you want to!)
Robert Dillon – Principally Speaking